I’d like to share some few reminders for incoming college students.
1. Accept the big shift. College life is a very big change in your life, thus it can make or break you. It is very much different from high school, here you will experience to work on your own and extract the juices of your brain (figuratively and literally!). No more “Nanay” or whatever you have who will take you to school and fetch you after classes. As time goes by you will learn to do everything on your own.
2. You can be whatever you wanted to be. College is one step to freedom. You can formulate or reinvent yourself. Everyone must distinct his or her personality to stand-out among others, but please, always try to be yourself, always.You can wear whatever you want as long as it is appropriate and modest. Fashion is a game where everyone can play.
3. You can’t get anything you wanted. As a saying goes, “If it is not meant to be, it is not meant to be.” Just learn to accept your failure. Learning from your mistakes (or other’s) will lead you to your own success.
4. Make friends. College is a jungle. You may find friendly creatures, unfriendly ones and those what we call, friendly beasts. But the ultimate thing is learn how to make use of your friendship for the better.
5. Respect. Never lose your respect for your Professors, Faculties and Administrators. They are paid even you don’t listen. So, better not to waste you money.
6. Know your environment. Knowing where everything is located and being familiarize with the place is a must. It will save time and effort.
7. Know the “cost-of-living”. Budget is the toughest challenge every college students will be facing. Being knowledgeable about the prices of basic necessities and supplies will be very helpful.
8. Know the hows and whos. The processes of things you need. Such as replacement of lost Identification cards, Registration documents, Change of schedule etc. and the offices involved in these transactions.
9. Time is the friendliest enemy of man. Be atleast one hour advance before your first subject. It would give you room to prepare if you had forgotten an important thing.
10. Set your goal. You’re in College to acquire knowledge and appropriate formal education. Your goal is to finish to be a productive citizen of the society.